The Labiaplasty and Vaginoplasty Training Institute of America™ (“LaVaTi™)
Master’s Preceptorship and Proctoring Program in Female Genital Plastic/Cosmetic Surgery
- Two-Day didactic + Podcasts + opportunity to observe Dr. Goodman perform live surgeries, in-person at his office in Davis, CA.
Courses are held every 3 months, alternating between Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, Atlanta, GA and Sacramento International Airport, Sacramento, CA. Attendees will receive official Course Completion Certificates, will be eligible to view complete unedited surgical procedure podcasts, and have the ability to come — at their convenience — to personally observe Dr. Goodman perform surgery at his offices in Davis, CA. Graduates will receive FREE placement on Labiaplastysurgeon.com and Vaginoplastysurgeon.com. through an exclusive marketing arrangement with Triaxial Medicine, Inc. Dr. Goodman will communicate regarding attendees’ training to attendees’ home outpatient and inpatient surgical facilities in regards to requests for specific privileging in Labiaplasty and Vaginoplasty procedures. 12-14 AMA Category 1 CME credit units will be awarded to attendees.
The goal of this course is to enable the gynecologic or plastic surgeon already possessing a basic familiarity with genital plastic/cosmetic procedures to feel more comfortable proceeding in this new subspecialty. At termination of course, attendees should possess the following knowledge:
- Familiarity with anatomy and anatomic variations and blood supply of the vulva and vagina
- Familiarity with the nerve and vascular supply to these areas
- Familiarity with proper and safe performance of at least two different procedures (modified V-wedge and sculpted linear resection) for labiaplasty (minora), and modifications of these techniques necessary to safely and aesthetically deal with individual anatomic variations; the “rules” for safe and successful performance of labiaplasty, linear, and V-wedge.
- Modification of labiaplasty procedures to include size reduction of redundant clitoral hood structures and/or hypertrophic posterior commisure tissue
- Surgical and non-surgical techniques for labia majora reduction
- The understanding of proper, reproducible techniques for anatomic vaginal tightening, both simple cosmetic perineoplasty and full pelvic floor sexually-mindful repair (vaginoplasty) performed in-office under local anesthesia; “pearls” regarding instrumentation, exposure, and adjuncts
- The technique for clitoral unhooding of phimotic glans clitoris, and when it may be valuable
- Techniques for hymenoplasty and the cultural issues involved
- Proper patient selection for each procedure: upon whom to operate, upon whom to not operate, and how to choose the most advantageous procedure for the individual patient. “…the right procedure on the right patient for the right reasons…”
- Instructing your staff exactly how to handle genital plastic inquiries in a compassionate and knowledgeable way, including front and back office staff training
- How to synchronize with your patient’s wishes and do the procedure she wishes (with your guidance) rather than vice versa
- How to get into trouble
- How to stay out of trouble
- Proper record keeping and documentation
- Proper and comprehensive informed consent
- Proper equipment for the various operations
- Various forms of anesthesia
- Suture choices
- Where to operate: Surgicenter; hospital; office environment
- How to set up a surgical suite within your office without massive modification of your present environment. Equipment, personnel, recovery, analgesia and anesthesia, etc.
- Time estimation for the various procedures
- Who are seeking these operations and why: how to interact with your prospective patient to ensure success
- The use and misuse of photo documentation
- Marketing tips; SEO; how to establish an online presence
(exact days and timing may be modified as necessary)
Day 1: (Friday, 12 noon- 8:00 pm):
Didactic discussion including introductory lunch and personal-access supper, reviewing:
- Patient selection: Who to and who not to operate on
- How to interview your patient: setting a comfortable tone from the “get-go”
- Sexual issues: how to do a sexual history; how to rule out issues such as body dysmorphia and orgasmic dysfunction
- How to get into trouble; how to stay out of trouble
- Ethical issues
- What is proper training: patient protection; physician protection
- Review of anatomy, vascular and nerve supply
- Discussion of specific surgical techniques for labiaplasty, minora and majora, clitoral hood reduction, hymenoplasty, perineoplasty and vaginoplasty, and how to select “the right procedure for the right patient for the right reason”
- Staff: training your staff to do well with the prospective patient
- Developing a photo book and deciding on choice of procedure (patient choice and existing anatomy, etc.)
- Discussion of cases for following day: who they are (demographics, etc.), how they happened to contact this office, how they were accommodated, how they presented, how they were interviewed, the exam, the surgical decision, discussion of pre- and post-op protocols, risks, anesthesia choice, choice of technique
- Informed consent and documentation. Review of all pre-op and post-op instruction sheets and all other documentation forms
- ** If a live case is also scheduled for Thursday afternoon, session may start as early as 1:00 pm so as to accommodate the case.
Day 2: (Saturday, 8:00 am – 4:00 pm):
Including personal-access breakfast, and working lunch: “Live Day,” consisting of:
- Interview process, exact procedure decision, discussion of post-operative recovery protocol and informed consent with patient(s) to be operated upon
- Close observation of surgical cases performed by Dr. Goodman with live, active discussion, close review of anatomy, instruction of how to draw incision lines, anesthesia, discussion of technique, “pearls”
- Review of “different anatomy…” Photo documentation. Making surgical decisions regarding exactly which procedure to utilize
- OR set-up, office and Surgicenter: alternative instrumentation; personnel, equipment; pre-op meds and anesthesia choice; choice of suture material; post-surgical adjuncts
- Discussion of post-op recovery protocol, dos and don’ts
- Discussion of post-surgical follow up, both in-person and virtually
- How to deal with dissatisfaction
- If necessary, when and how to revise
- Setting your price: should you accept insurance?
- Marketing advice
- Documenting your training: do you need proctoring?
- Use opportunities for FemiLift and other laser and RF non-invasive techniques
Faculty and BreakoutsAll courses will be taught by Dr. Goodman personally, assisted by his Office Manager and Patient Care Coordinator Nicole Sanders and/or Medical Assistant/scheduler Raechel Davis. Nicole has worked with Dr. Goodman for 14 years and has personal experience with genital plastic surgery herself. She has assisted Dr. Goodman with at least 400 of his cases and has guided hundreds and hundreds of women through the genital plastic/aesthetic surgery process.
Michael Goodman, MD, FACOG, AAACS, NCMP, IF, CCD is in private practice of integrative gynecology, menopausal and sexual medicine, and female genital plastic/cosmetic surgery in Davis, CA. In addition to being an experienced clinician with > 800 genital plastic surgical procedures performed as well as an experienced laser and RF clinician, Dr. Goodman has published over 15 academic papers, including 9 in the field of female genital plastic/cosmetic surgery. He is the author of 3 popular books on menopause and genital plastics and, most recently, the editor of the new medical textbook from Wiley-Blackwell, “Female Genital Plastic and Cosmetic Surgery.” Through the Labiaplasty and Vaginoplasty Training Institute of America™, Dr. Goodman has trained > 30 surgeons from 15 U.S. states and 4 foreign countries.
Both Dr. Goodman and Ms. Sanders will present didactic lectures. Both will lead breakout sessions — Dr. Goodman for surgeons and Ms. Sanders for attendees’ office staff members who are present.
If desired, Dr. Goodman will come to your office, Surgicenter or hospital and proctor (observation only; no surgical assistance) to give advice, tips, etc. Timing must allow for arrival the morning of or evening before and departure by ~ 5 p.m. on the day of proctoring. Two days may be arranged if available. Teleproctoring opportunities may also be available.
Masters Class: Location, Fees and Accommodations
- Class only : US $ 5,000.00. Fee includes 2-day didactic course, ability to personally, at your own leisure, view complete linear labiaplasty, V-wedge modification labiaplasty, perineoplasty/vaginoplasty, as well as live interview/procedure choice podcasts, AND ability to view Dr. Goodman perform live surgery at his office in Davis, CA. ** A comprehensive “Course Syllabus” and a copy of the new textbook, “Female Genital Plastic/Cosmetic Surgery,” edited by Dr. Goodman will be provided to attendees. **Office Staff are welcome to accompany attendees at a fee of $250 for each additional person.
- Proctorship only: US $4500/day, plus all travel and lodging expenses.
- Joint program (class and proctoring): US $9,000 (includes course, surgery observation, 1-day proctoring; add $3500 for second day if desired)
- Location and accommodations: Didactic sessions held every 3 months, alternating between locations on-site at Atlanta and Sacramento International Airports. Course fees include all meals, facilities, and on-site surgical location. Location is in Davis, CA, a college town (University of California, Davis) of about 70,000 people located 20 miles west of Sacramento, 60 miles east of the San Francisco Bay Area, and 70 miles west of Lake Tahoe. Air service is available via the easy-access Sacramento International Airport (SMF), a 25-minute drive from Dr. Goodman’s office.
- Add-on marketing opportunity : Includes a minimum of 12 months FREE marketing position on the premier genital plastics sites, http://www.labiaplastysurgeon.com. and http://www.vaginoplastysurgeon.com. This is a US $6000+ value; (usual cost for inclusion on this site is $500/month. (This is a premier opportunity!)
Note: A “Certificate of Completion” suitable for framing will be issued at the termination of the course. For proctored students, a separate “Proctorship Certificate” will be issued. A copy of the new 2016 medical textbook “Female Genital Plastic/Cosmetic Surgery,” edited by Dr. Goodman and others, will be given as part of the course and will be mailed to attendees prior to the course to enable review. Dr. Goodman will also – at your request – communicate with your admitting institution regarding your specific training in genital plastic/aesthetic surgical procedures. A minimum of 12-14 AMA Category 1 CME credits will be provided to Certificated Graduate attendees.
Phone: (530) 753-2787
What Others Have to Say:
Dr. Goodman’s two-day course is an outstanding and comprehensive cosmetic gynecology tour de force. Dr. Goodman clearly and concisely reviews anatomy and patient selection, as well as pre- and postoperative care during the evening before the surgical cases. He is extremely forthright, and he shared with us every possible surgical tip, including photography, in-office setup, anesthesia, nursing care and postoperative care. During the course, we were able to view a perineoplasty, a linear labiaplasty, a labia majoraplasty and a V-wedge labiaplasty. All in one day! The course is a fantastic value, and I would enthusiastically recommend it highly, both to the newcomers to cosmetic gynecology, as well as to those looking to perfect their techniques or expand their knowledge in this rapidly expanding field. Bravo , Dr. Goodman!
-Francisco Canales, M.D. (Santa Rosa, CA)
I would like to express my gratitude to you for all the clinical and surgical pearls that you taught me during my visit to Davis, CA. You and your staff created an atmosphere that was conducive for learning. Your course is perhaps the most useful postgraduate course that I have taken in my 11 years as an attending Ob/Gyn. I thank you on behalf of my patients who will benefit from the knowledge that I have acquired. In fact, my first case following my training with you will be this coming Friday.
Please convey my gratitude to your staff for taking the time to teach me.
-George Chambers, M.D. (Las Vegas, NV)
I wanted to thank you for the time and energy you spent on teaching me the techniques of genital plastic surgery. The tips I got from you in the last two days are invaluable. I learned not only about the clinical management but also about the business side of medicine. You took time in answering all my questions and were very open in sharing your vast knowledge. I really appreciate everything you did. I’m so glad I did this course and would recommend it to anyone who is interested in learning from the master. I intend to keep in touch and would like to participate in any research studies in the future.
-Mona Hardas (Flint, MI)
I wanted to thank you for such a terrific, comprehensive course. The syllabus was excellent and very clear. I particularly appreciated the photos you included with the different approaches. They gave me a greater appreciation for the anatomy. Watching you in surgery was particularly helpful. You did an excellent job explaining the V-wedge approach, and the results were great. I also appreciated seeing you consult with and examine the surgical patients, as well as conduct a virtual follow-up visit. I couldn’t have asked for a better female cosmetic genital course.
-Heather Furness, Plastic Surgeon (Santa Rosa, CA)
I did my first V-wedge today, and after we discharged the patient, my OR staff gave me a standing ovation: “So THAT’S what Dr. Goodman taught you! Beautiful! We all want one!” Thanks again for being such a great teacher!
Thank you so much for your help and eagerness to share your vast knowledge. I had a great time and learned a lot in those two days… Thank you again for a great experience. Many thanks to your lovely staff as well.
-Marc Briere (London, KY)
Thank you for all the teaching points you shared at the meeting. I walked away from that meeting realizing how secretive the so-called experts were in sharing their information. You, however, were so willing to make your presentations truly informative. Also, it is kind of you to share these forms. I will keep in touch.
-Uma Penemtsa M.D. (Upstate New York)
Great firsthand observation of workup, counseling and two approaches to labiaplasty… I think Dr. Goodman worked hard to give a lot of info in a short amount of time.”
-George Moricz, M.D. (Texarkana, Texas)
Thank you very much for having taught me so much at your recent genital plastic surgery course… You are truly amazing. You not only taught, but you shared all the pearls and secrets of genital plastic surgery in a way that most people just do not do. I will truly be always grateful to you for your great generosity.
-Ron Patterson, M.D. (Nassau, Bahamas)
I would like to thank you again for such an informative course. It actually exceeded my expectations. I now feel comfortable with starting to incorporate labiaplasty and perineoplasty in my practice.
Great ‘one-on-one’ Also the ability to contact you afterwards and marketing opportunities… I enjoyed the didactic sessions and downloads…the surgical sessions were so informative… Excellent accommodations at Hallmark Inn, and beautiful City of Davis…
“Dr. Goodman, your expertise in this field, and your ability to talk with your patients so freely was very beneficial to me. You helped me to develop more confidence in discussing these issues with my patients…”
-Michelle Owens, M.D. Ob/Gyn (Crowley, LA)
… I attended Dr. Goodman’s course to learn more about VR surgery and watch a master to gain specific knowledge of particular questions about the procedures. I got my money’s worth, and I have the option to return free of charge another time to observe more cases if I wish… I gained specific information on very specific surgical questions as well as my personal interaction with Dr. Goodman…
“I learned V-wedge technique, didactics on consent and counselling… and most enjoyed our personal interaction. I’ve done thousands of vaginal surgeries but this is a newer and different aspect so hearing from your experience was outstanding. I would have liked to view a labia majoraplasty and vaginoplasty; this clinical material wasn’t available at my particular course, but I know I can return at mutual convenience to view additional surgeries…”
-Robert Harris, MD (Jackson, MS)
I attended Dr. Goodman’s course to deepen my skills and professional relations. I felt I “…got my money’s worth” and…found Dr. Goodman to be a generous teacher… with a lot to say. My learning how to place sutures with V-Wedge was most relevant… Also [valuable was] learning levatorplasty, a new method for vaginal rejuvenation…
“I most enjoyed the live cases; the dinner and lunch lectures were an excellent contribution. The best thing was the honest, open communication; [it was] not didactic. …Logistics were excellent… D. Goodman is a wise, generous, honest teacher with a humble heart and good hands!”
-Mike Litrel MD, Urogynecologist (Atlanta, GA)
I took Dr. Goodman’s course to learn better way(s) to do a labiaplasty and learn to perform a vaginoplasty. I was able to see both surgeries, and feel that I got my “money’s worth.” I learned techniques to do these [labiaplasty and vaginoplasty] under local anesthesia. The live surgical sessions are a great way to learn.
“Logistics/hotel were easy. I am very glad I came. I was worried if it was going to be worth the trip. I loved it! Thank you.”
-Phil Agrusa, Ob-Gyn (Boise, ID)