The Labiaplasty and Vaginoplasty Training Institute of America™ (“LaVaTi™)
Master’s Preceptorship and Proctoring Program in Female Genital Plastic/Cosmetic Surgery
- Two-Day program including both didactic and live real-time videos of surgeries, plus the opportunity to observe Dr. Goodman perform surgery in-person at his office in Davis, CA.
Courses are held thrice yearly in Sacramento, CA. Attendees will receive official Course Completion Certificates. Dr. Goodman will communicate regarding attendees’ training to attendees’ home outpatient and inpatient surgical facilities in regards to requests for specific privileging in Labiaplasty and Vaginoplasty procedures. 14.5 AMA Category 1 CME credit units will be awarded to attendees.
The goal of this course is to enable the gynecologic or plastic surgeon already possessing a basic familiarity with genital plastic/cosmetic procedures to feel more comfortable proceeding in this new subspecialty. At termination of course, attendees should possess the following knowledge:
- Familiarity with anatomy and anatomic variations and blood supply of the vulva and vagina
- Familiarity with the nerve and vascular supply to these areas
- Familiarity with proper and safe performance of at least two different procedures (modified V-wedge and sculpted linear resection) for labiaplasty (minora), and modifications of these techniques necessary to safely and aesthetically deal with individual anatomic variations; the “rules” for safe and successful performance of labiaplasty, linear, and V-wedge.
- Modification of labiaplasty procedures to include size reduction of redundant clitoral hood structures and/or hypertrophic posterior commisure tissue
- Surgical and non-surgical techniques for labia majora reduction
- The understanding of proper, reproducible techniques for anatomic vaginal tightening, both simple cosmetic perineoplasty and full pelvic floor sexually-mindful repair (vaginoplasty) performed in-office under local anesthesia; “pearls” regarding instrumentation, exposure, and adjuncts
- The technique for clitoral unhooding of phimotic glans clitoris, and when it may be valuable
- Techniques for hymenoplasty and the cultural issues involved
- Proper patient selection for each procedure: upon whom to operate, upon whom to not operate, and how to choose the most advantageous procedure for the individual patient. “…the right procedure on the right patient for the right reasons…”
- Instructing your staff exactly how to handle genital plastic inquiries in a compassionate and knowledgeable way, including front and back office staff training
- How to synchronize with your patient’s wishes and do the procedure she wishes (with your guidance) rather than vice versa
- How to get into trouble
- How to stay out of trouble
- Proper record keeping and documentation
- Proper and comprehensive informed consent
- Proper equipment for the various operations
- Various forms of anesthesia
- Suture choices
- Where to operate: Surgicenter; hospital; office environment
- How to set up a surgical suite within your office without massive modification of your present environment. Equipment, personnel, recovery, analgesia and anesthesia, etc.
- Time estimation for the various procedures
- Who are seeking these operations and why: how to interact with your prospective patient to ensure success
- The use and misuse of photo documentation
- Marketing tips; SEO; how to establish an online presence
Day 1 Saturday 9 am-6 pm, with working supper, gourmet restaurant, food/drinks included in fee 7-9 pm.
Day 2 Sunday, 9 am- 6 pm.
Faculty and Breakouts
All courses will be taught by Dr. Goodman personally, assisted by his Office Manager and Patient Care Coordinator Nicole Sanders Pardi and/or Medical Assistant/scheduler Raechel Davis. Nicole has worked with Dr. Goodman for 18+ years and has personal experience with genital plastic surgery herself. She has assisted Dr. Goodman with at least 500 of his cases and has guided hundreds and hundreds of women through the genital plastic/aesthetic surgery process.
Michael Goodman, MD, FACOG, AAACS, NCMP, IF, CCD is in private practice of sexual medicine, and female genital plastic/cosmetic surgery in Davis, CA. In addition to being an experienced clinician with > 1000 genital plastic surgical procedures performed as well as an experienced laser and RF clinician, Dr. Goodman has published over 15 academic papers, including 9 in the field of female genital plastic/cosmetic surgery. He is the author of 3 popular books on menopause and genital plastics and the editor of the new medical textbook from Wiley-Blackwell, “Female Genital Plastic and Cosmetic Surgery.” Most recently, Dr. Goodman is the invited author of the chapters “Revision Labiaplasty” and “Complication Avoidance” if the 3rd Edition of the classic plastic surgery textbook, “The Art of Aesthetic Surgery: Principles and Practices,” Edited by Nahai et. al. Through the Labiaplasty and Vaginoplasty Training Institute of America™, Dr. Goodman has trained > 100 surgeons from 20 U.S. states and 10 foreign countries.
Both Dr. Goodman and Ms. Pardi will present didactic lectures and will lead breakout sessions — Dr. Goodman for surgeons and Ms. Sanders for attendees’ office staff members who are present.
If desired, Dr. Goodman will come to your office, Surgicenter or hospital and proctor (observation only; no surgical assistance) to give advice, tips, etc. Timing must allow for arrival the morning of or evening before and departure by ~ 5 p.m. on the day of proctoring. Two days may be arranged if available. Teleproctoring opportunities may also be available.
Masters Class: Location, Fees and Accommodations
See our website: labiaplastytraining.com for details.
What Others Have to Say:
“Dr. Goodman’s two-day course is an outstanding and comprehensive cosmetic gynecology tour de force. Dr. Goodman clearly and concisely reviews anatomy and patient selection, as well as pre- and postoperative care during the evening before the surgical cases. He is extremely forthright, and he shared with us every possible surgical tip, including photography, in-office setup, anesthesia, nursing care and postoperative care. During the course, we were able to view a perineoplasty, a linear labiaplasty, a labia majoraplasty and a V-wedge labiaplasty. All in one day! The course is a fantastic value, and I would enthusiastically recommend it highly, both to the newcomers to cosmetic gynecology, as well as to those looking to perfect their techniques or expand their knowledge in this rapidly expanding field. Bravo , Dr. Goodman!”-Francisco Canales, M.D. (Santa Rosa, CA)
“I would like to express my gratitude to you for all the clinical and surgical pearls that you taught me during my visit to Davis, CA. You and your staff created an atmosphere that was conducive for learning. Your course is perhaps the most useful postgraduate course that I have taken in my 11 years as an attending Ob/Gyn. I thank you on behalf of my patients who will benefit from the knowledge that I have acquired. In fact, my first case following my training with you will be this coming Friday.-George Chambers, M.D. (Las Vegas, NV)
Please convey my gratitude to your staff for taking the time to teach me.”
“I wanted to thank you for the time and energy you spent on teaching me the techniques of genital plastic surgery. The tips I got from you in the last two days are invaluable. I learned not only about the clinical management but also about the business side of medicine. You took time in answering all my questions and were very open in sharing your vast knowledge. I really appreciate everything you did. I’m so glad I did this course and would recommend it to anyone who is interested in learning from the master. I intend to keep in touch and would like to participate in any research studies in the future.”-Mona Hardas (Flint, MI)
“I wanted to thank you for such a terrific, comprehensive course. The syllabus was excellent and very clear. I particularly appreciated the photos you included with the different approaches. They gave me a greater appreciation for the anatomy. Watching you in surgery was particularly helpful. You did an excellent job explaining the V-wedge approach, and the results were great. I also appreciated seeing you consult with and examine the surgical patients, as well as conduct a virtual follow-up visit. I couldn’t have asked for a better female cosmetic genital course.”-Heather Furness, Plastic Surgeon (Santa Rosa, CA)
“I did my first V-wedge today, and after we discharged the patient, my OR staff gave me a standing ovation: “So THAT’S what Dr. Goodman taught you! Beautiful! We all want one!” Thanks again for being such a great teacher!”-Heather
“Thank you so much for your help and eagerness to share your vast knowledge. I had a great time and learned a lot in those two days… Thank you again for a great experience. Many thanks to your lovely staff as well.”-Marc Briere (London, KY)
“Thank you for all the teaching points you shared at the meeting. I walked away from that meeting realizing how secretive the so-called experts were in sharing their information. You, however, were so willing to make your presentations truly informative. Also, it is kind of you to share these forms. I will keep in touch.”-Uma Penemtsa M.D. (Upstate New York)
“Great firsthand observation of workup, counseling and two approaches to labiaplasty… I think Dr. Goodman worked hard to give a lot of info in a short amount of time.”-George Moricz, M.D. (Texarkana, Texas)
“Thank you very much for having taught me so much at your recent genital plastic surgery course… You are truly amazing. You not only taught, but you shared all the pearls and secrets of genital plastic surgery in a way that most people just do not do. I will truly be always grateful to you for your great generosity.”-Ron Patterson, M.D. (Nassau, Bahamas)
“I would like to thank you again for such an informative course. It actually exceeded my expectations. I now feel comfortable with starting to incorporate labiaplasty and perineoplasty in my practice.”-Mike
“Great ‘one-on-one’ Also the ability to contact you afterwards and marketing opportunities… I enjoyed the didactic sessions and downloads…the surgical sessions were so informative… Excellent accommodations at Hallmark Inn, and beautiful City of Davis…-Michelle Owens, M.D. Ob/Gyn (Crowley, LA)
Dr. Goodman, your expertise in this field, and your ability to talk with your patients so freely was very beneficial to me. You helped me to develop more confidence in discussing these issues with my patients…”
“… I attended Dr. Goodman’s course to learn more about VR surgery and watch a master to gain specific knowledge of particular questions about the procedures. I got my money’s worth, and I have the option to return free of charge another time to observe more cases if I wish… I gained specific information on very specific surgical questions as well as my personal interaction with Dr. Goodman…-Robert Harris, MD (Jackson, MS)
I learned V-wedge technique, didactics on consent and counselling… and most enjoyed our personal interaction. I’ve done thousands of vaginal surgeries but this is a newer and different aspect so hearing from your experience was outstanding. I would have liked to view a labia majoraplasty and vaginoplasty; this clinical material wasn’t available at my particular course, but I know I can return at mutual convenience to view additional surgeries…”
“I attended Dr. Goodman’s course to deepen my skills and professional relations. I felt I “…got my money’s worth” and…found Dr. Goodman to be a generous teacher… with a lot to say. My learning how to place sutures with V-Wedge was most relevant… Also [valuable was] learning levatorplasty, a new method for vaginal rejuvenation…-Mike Litrel MD, Urogynecologist (Atlanta, GA)
I most enjoyed the live cases; the dinner and lunch lectures were an excellent contribution. The best thing was the honest, open communication; [it was] not didactic. …Logistics were excellent… D. Goodman is a wise, generous, honest teacher with a humble heart and good hands!”
“I took Dr. Goodman’s course to learn better way(s) to do a labiaplasty and learn to perform a vaginoplasty. I was able to see both surgeries, and feel that I got my “money’s worth.” I learned techniques to do these [labiaplasty and vaginoplasty] under local anesthesia. The live surgical sessions are a great way to learn.-Phil Agrusa, Ob-Gyn (Boise, ID)
Logistics/hotel were easy. I am very glad I came. I was worried if it was going to be worth the trip. I loved it! Thank you.”